Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Waiheke Island


The ferry for Waiheke Island leaves every 30 minutes from the pier at the foot of Auckland. Across the street is the bus center and a scurry of activity most of the day. When the traffic lights change for pedestrian crossing all four directions of traffic are stopped and everyone crosses every which way! I would guess about 200 people were crossing this morning when I walked down to the ferry pier. All criss crossing quickly going to work.

I have photos from the ferry, but my hard disk is full and I am unable to delete anything else until I get home and check this out. Perhaps I should just upgrade to a larger hard drive (500MB). These photos take up a lot of room per picture, about 21MB.

Braised brussell sprouts, walnuts,
califlour and golden raisins.
Kelly Keiper Bickerton was waiting for me on the dock when our ferry pulled in. We had been emailing for about a month about this visit. She taught with us at CFPMS for only 3 years, but it seemed longer than that. After that, she married Simon who is a NZ native and they moved here. She is is happily raising two kids, Bradon and Kate in their lovely home on Waiheke Island.

We started with a coffee and catch up about people and places at home. The island has many designated walking trails along the coast so we went for a hike. She showed me some really fabulous shoreline, cute towns and then we got to the business of the day, wine tasting. Each of the wineries we visited had it's own unique feel and design, but all were located with a beautiful view.

One unique place we visited was an olive oil processing plant with tasting room. There were 5
different oils to taste and each had a special flavor. I ended up purchasing two small bottles and a spice mix to bring home.

The day finished with a quick bite in town with Simon, Bradon and Kate and a small beer tasting. I'm
Olive Oil tasting room.
missing Iron Hill Wit Bier! I took the ferry back to Auckland and being beat, I went directly to my hotel after a few pics at the marina. There were several racing sailboats there like the type used in the America's Cup. They are huge at close view.

A short walk back to the hotel to get ready for my last day in Kiwi Land!






Shaking olives from the tree.


No comments:

Post a Comment