Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Tuesday May 5, 2015

Leaving Rotorua with a few regrets. I didn't get to Rainbow Springs park to see the kiwis and I didn't walk around downtown enough to see the museum. There were geothermal spots in the park about 5 block away that I did no walk to either, but I've seen bigger geothermal stuff at Yellowstone.

On to the bus again and ride along to Waitomo Caves and the glow worms. The walking tour was about 40 minutes through the darkness of the cave, but it was worth it. After our walk, we stepped into a boat that our guide puled by cable through the darkness. As most caves, this has a huge layer of limestone, combined with rainwater runoff has created the beautiful formations from ceiling to floor.

The glow worms were in the thousands over our head. They only exist at the beginning of this cave
Taken at the cave.
because the water flows in and brings insects for them to eat. The only reason for the glow worms existence is to reproduce. During the larva period they lower 15-20 string like threads to capture the insects. It works much like a spider's web.

They then create their own cocoon and hang for about 13 days before emerging as a two winged insect that looks like a mosquito without a mouth. They reproduce, lay eggs and die. In the larva stage is when they glow, as they live for about 9 months. The glow attracts insects to the light and they get caught in the threads. I am not sure what makes these caves in New Zealand specifically made for glow worms. Don't we have this in the US somewhere?

Most of the towns and attractions are named from Maori language translated by British missionaries in the 1800's. The name Waitomo is made up of two parts; 'Wai' which translates as water and 'tomo' which means entrance or home in the ground.  There are many different cave adventures you can participate in here, one of which is float on an inner tube in the cave. New Zealand sure is the land of adventure!

Got to my hotel, The Mercure, around 3:30, dropped my stuff and wandered around the city. This is a big shopping mecca with many of the upper crust name brand having stores here. I bought some more Christmas presents. Dusk was arriving a bit early at 5:30, so I grabbed my camera and tripod and headed for the wharf two blocks away. The sky was exciting, but the foreground was two square buildings of apartments. As I looked up, the cloud formation was odd. There were two circle openings in the overcast sky. I hope I captured them in the photos.

Since I am staying here two nights I have a $50 credit for the restaurant, so I decide to give it a try.
Those are not mushrooms, but mashed potatoes made to look that way.


One more time I have lamb cooked to perfection. Honestly if I didn't know it was lamb I would swear it was filet mignon. It is very tender and not gamey at all. The dessert was a creation to honor those from the ANZAC conflict in Galipoli and it was fabulous. It had two things that were on my list to try, Turkish Delight and Hokey Pokey ice cream, both of which were good.


I had two different glasses of wine and didn't like either one. I must be spoiled by the South Island wineries.  I'll find out tomorrow as I am going wine tasting with an old friend from Unionville, Kelly Keiper Bickerton.

I am so glad she is going to be driving on the wrong side of the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment