Sunday, May 3, 2015

Hobbittown - FInally

Even though my bus would not arrive until 8:15, I was awake at 6:00am. I have been getting up about 2 hours before departure time for different tours. I just do not want to be late. I know that sounds funny coming from one who is late for most things. To all of you, I apologize!
Off we go!

The ride to Hobbittown was about an hour through rolling hills and countryside filled with cows and sheep. The towns are far apart and there is little development. Imagine just a small village in Kennett Square and nothing in between there and West Chester. The bus pulls in to the souvenir shop and ticket location first. That is unlike US theme parks that lead you right in to the souvenir shop right after you exit the attraction. There are the usual trinkets from the movie and some collectibles. Nothing that really moves me to spend $40 on a tshirt or otherwise.


The guide on our tour was very good. He told us many behind the scene stories of Peter Jackson and
the filming locations. Then we turned the corner and there it was, The Shire. WOW I felt like I just walked in to the move! They actually tore down the set after filming LOTR series. But after filming The Hobbit, Peter Jackson made a deal with the farm owner to keep the set as a tourist attraction. What a great deal, at about $100 per head they are making a ton of money and keeping a really intricate village intact.

We walked around 45 hobbit houses, the garden, the festival field where the fireworks shot off in the
Is anyone home?
movie. Everything is neatly in place and the flower garden at each home was well designed. Remember Hobbits are very short, so many of the plants were dwarf varieties. It was about 10:00 when we arrived and were to have a 1 hour tour and then a drink in the Green Dragon Inn.

One story of the detail of Jackson's crew involved planting a small tree at the top of the hill, but Jackson didn't like the way it looked, so he had his special effects crew create exactly what he needed. Over 200,000 leaves were created in China for the tree and before the first day of filming, Jackson didn't like the green, so a crew had to hand spray paint each one to the right color. I will point out that tree in the photo caption.

Our small group was about 25 people from all over the world. The guide made sure we had adequate time to take photos at proper locations. People were very respectful of each other taking shots of the scene. We really didn't have any wander around time which can be good or bad. The tour groups were spaced apart enough that you could take photos with few or no people in the scene. The day was overcast and threatening rain, but it never came. There were umbrellas in several locations around the Shire to use if we wanted to.

The most startling view was the first entrance to the Shire. When Gandolf comes into the Shire with Frodo on the cart they come around a stone wall path then enter the Shire itself and that is how we arrived. When you come around the corner and see those little doors and paths and gardens, it is breathtaking. You just want to run around like a little kid and play.

The second view that took my breath away was our walk to the Green Dragon Inn. We walked through some woods and over a hill. Cresting the hill the Inn comes into view that takes you across the stone bridge with the wheel house. Again, you feel like you are right in the scene of the film.

The inside of the Green Dragon was recreated for the tourists. The interior scenes of the Inn as well as the Hobbit homes were filmed on a sound stage in what is known here as Wellywood, Wellington's version of Hollywood. Most of the outside scenes from LOTR and Hobbit were filmed throughout New Zealand. The country even declared "no fly" zones when they were filming to keep the paparazzi away. One pilot ignored the ruling and lost his pilot license for life.  Peter Jackson is practically a god here!

In the Green Dragon we were given a choice of drink, Dark Ale, Light Ale, Cider, or Ginger Beer. I had the light ale and it was quite good. On an empty stomach, not such a good idea as I got light headed quickly - what a kick.

I really wanted to take some HDR photos like Trey Ratclif taught me how to do the first week here,
but I forgot my tripod. When I crossed the bridge to the Green Dragon I rested the camera on the stone wall and gave it a try. Then I got brave and did some hand-held versions. You will see the results on the next page.

It was a fun experience that I would say not to miss if you visit the North Island. As I said before I am not a huge LOTR or Hobbit fan, but appreciate great film making and this was worth it in my opinion. Even if it was expensive.

Upon return I dropped off my camera stuff and grabbed the laptop and headed for an outdoor cafe to sit and review my photos. On first import my laptop says FULL! Oh no. So I spent 30 minutes deleting old stuff and duplicates I did not need. Now it is getting cold and I need to head back and get warmed up. After all, it is autumn here.
Not edited just yet.
More photos coming......of the Shire.....

No comments:

Post a Comment