Sunday, May 3, 2015

Flight from Christchurch to Rotorura

I left Franz Josef with mixed feelings, one, exhilaration that I had accomplished such a feat to hike on the glacier for 2 hours! The second is anticipation for the last part of my journey. I am so surprised at how fast this has gone. Im sure it is because I am busy each day touring, hiking and eating great food. Sleeping in my own bed is going be so nice when I get there. I do miss my friends and family after this amount of time too. Part of the fun of travel is sharing your adventures with others. That is why I am blogging this experience, to share.

But today is a big travel day. I leave Christchurch for Rotorua in the North Island. Christchurch, if you recall was hit by a huge earthquake in 2011. There are still buildings in rubble heaps and steel beams hold up walls in churches with stained glass windows. They are still in a time of rebuilding.

I ran in to the same couple from Boston at the airport. We chatted about my glacial hike and exchanged stories of our travels. I carry on my small case with the camera and lenses for safety. I kind gentleman helped me on and off the plane with it as we had to cross the tarmac and climb steps to get in. Then it did not fit in the overhead carrier, so it fit under the seat in front for the duration. Next to me a woman was knitting a sweater for her daughter she started over a year ago.  The color was a nice off white and it looked very difficult to me. Cable stitching covered the front and she said it was very time consuming to complete.

Along the route, she pointed out many landmarks and history about the area. The North Island is very different from South Island. In the middle of the lake here in Rotorua there is an island that has volcanic ash or pumice as it's base. Therefore it is a floating island. It moves when the winds are very heavy which is not too often.

There was a large Maori man with a "Robin Martin" sign!  He entertained me laughing all the way to my Ibis Hotel. This is a hotel I would NOT book again. Very old and subpar in appearance and maintenance, but clean in my room. I can't imagine some of my friends staying here. It is not a Hilton. I brought my own pillowcase from home. I just can't go all the way on used pillows!

OK off to wander through the flea market across the street in the park. It is pretty much junky and now I am starving. My taxi driver told me to go to Eat Street for some good food. Peroni  on tap caught my eye and I ordered a Hawaiian pizza. The crust was good and thin. Not in the top 10 of my meals here but a good one. I love pizza. 


As our plane was on approach for landing I thought someone around me farted. LOL But later the taxi man told me it was the sulphur from the hot springs here. I forgot that the geological forces were active here. Oh geez I am to be here 2 nights. 

PHOTOS are having trouble uploading. I'll try again tomorrow......



No comments:

Post a Comment