Sunday, April 26, 2015

Monday in Dunedin

Dunedin is named after Edinburgh, Scotland. It was a 4 hour bus ride across the South Island with several stops. The first stop was at a small side of the road fruit stand that had public rest rooms, fruit, nuts and dried fruit selections. I picked an apple, and it was delicious and juicy. We made 2 other stops for rest rooms as well. The bad news here is that my internet was not working, so therefore Google maps was not available and I didn’t know how to find my hotel. Fortunately I took a screen shot of the reservation and street name. I asked the fellow next to me on the bus and he could no get my internet working either – I am going to be lost without it. But he did know where the street was and pointed me to Cumberland St. Except I walked 10 blocks dragging my small suitcase and my 20lb backpack of camera goodies.

I passed some cool places like the University of Ontago, a museum that has a butterfly exhibit and aviary. Many places were closed because of ANZAC Day holiday. You may have seen this remembrance on tv involving honoring soldiers from New Zealand, Australia at Gallipoli. It is much like our Veteran’s Day. I turned around and walked back toward the bus stop and could see the hotel a block from my original point. I did get lots of steps registered on my FitBit however.

Across the street is a factory tour. View the photos and see if you can guess where I am.


If you didn't guess Cadbury, then look closely at these 2 cars. These two antique cars were actually used by the company to deliver chocolate at the turn of the century. The products produced here are for New Zealand and Australia consumption. Of course I had to purchase my favorite, Cadbury fingers!












Now I am starving since I didn’t really eat breakfast except for 2 granola bars and an apple. I found several restaurants open at the Octogon (center of town) and take a chance on Angus sliders with pear chutney with a side of local beer. Nice choice and I am delighted and full.







It has rained all day, I want to get everything ready for the nature adventure tomorrow. So back to the room and plan. I had to pay for internet usage and my phone is wonky. Not sure what is going on there. I really depend on it for directions.

This hotel actually has better tv than Rees in Queenstown.







Wildlife adventures tomorrow in Dunedin!

No comments:

Post a Comment