Friday, May 1, 2015

The Day of the Glacier

The morning started with some confusion. I thought I was to wait for a shuttle from my hotel. After 20 min the hotel manager came out and told me to walk over 2 blocks. So I did, didn't see it so I asked 2 other tour directors who runs the hike on the glacier. Both told me to go back past my hotel to Base Glacier.  Nope, back to the main road about 500 yards to Heli Hike!  I'm late and miss some instructions. They give me boots and socks to put on, a fanny pack and a waterproof jacket. While signing the release I see there are health questions. Yes I have had knee surgery in both, turned my ankle severely a month ago but have a brace, yes I take high blood pressure meds, but no heart surgery or asthma. OK I'm good to go. 

We walk through some shrubs across the street an it opens to a massive flat area with 4-6 very rough helio pads. The copter can only take 5 and pilot. Our group takes 3 trips to get to the glacier. I know the photos do not do justice. We flew over quite a small portion but it silenced everyone in awe!  The blue color of the ice spires is beautiful. We are snapping pictures like crazy. We land with pinpoint perfection and put on the crampons (metal spikes that attach to the bottom of the boot). There are 2 leaders and they offer a fast group and a leisure one. In my 20-40s no doubt I would have accepted the challenge, but at 61 I'm going leisure. 

This should give some perspective of the ice.

























Within the first 100 feet I realize I am in over my head with a bum ankle but keep going. I slipped
 and fell 3 times and the guide decided to be my personal assistant! AJ was so sweet and a young girl behind me carried my camera. At this point I trusted her more than myself. I'm not kidding, glaciers are NOT FLAT. We stopped for a short rest and he challenged us to drink from the glacial pool so I did and it was so pure and cold if course.


The weather was warm and overcast thank goodness. When the sun peaked out I stared to get a bit nauseous and AJ told me to take off my hat. It cooled me off a lot. Back to the helicopter and back to level ground. He flew on our flight and I gave him a $10 tip because I would not have made it without his hand holding, literally. 
Looking up at the spires of blue ice.

When I hit the street after returning equipment I began to sweat profusely. Exhaustion, a workout like I've never had and perhaps some anxiety for what I just accomplished. I slept in my soggy clothes for 2 hours. Amen 


Up,  shower and off to dinner at the Monsoon, right next to my hotel, Punga Grove. I have splurged
Another delicious meal!
with Pioneer Chicken with ricotta and spinach, roast potatoes and spring onions in a mushroom sauce. The drink is ginger ale. My stomach is not ready for beer yet. Oh yes I celebrated with chocolate mud cake!!  

Repacking and up for a bus and train ride tomorrow.

More adventures to come, but I think I have completed the major physical tasks at this point. I don't think Hobbitown will be too bad after that glacier.

No comments:

Post a Comment